Sunday 22 November 2020

Installing LOTRO in Linux with Steam (2020)

I've been having a few minor issues launching LOTRO in Linux with PlayOnLinux and instead of reinstalling through POL I thought I would try using Steam instead. Proton is really good and a lot of Windows games just work out of the box with it.

LOTRO was so easy to install, set-up and start playing via Steam.

  1. Open Steam. In your Steam Settings, make sure that "Enable Steam Play for supported titles" is ticked.
  2. Find The Lord of the Rings Online. Select "Play Game". It will be added to your library.
  3. From your library page for LOTRO click the "Manage" button on the right hand side. Select "Properties".
  4. Near the bottom of the Properties window is an option to "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool". Make sure this is ticked and from the drop-down box, select the most recent version of Proton (I'm using Proton 5.13-2 at the moment). Close the properties window.
  5. Download and install the game. The launcher will open and there will be lots of updates to complete. It will also ask if you want to install the high resolution graphics (I said yes). Installing and updating the game took me between 15-30 minutes (I went AFK for a quick meal, came back and it was ready to go).
  6. Finally the launcher will show the login window. Login. Accept the Terms of Service.
  7. Play LOTRO.

Once in-game, you may want to go to Options and click the "Detect Optimal Settings" and Accept. My frame-rate went from 10 fps to 60 fps instantly.

Note that the LOTRO Store still opens in an external browser and not in-game unfortunately.

Enable Steam Play in Steam settings

The "Manage" button looks like a cog

Use latest Proton as Steam Play compatibility tool

Optional high resolution graphics download

LOTRO launcher login screen

Play!

LOTRO store opens in external browser

1 comment:

  1. Thanks I have been playing LOTRO for ten years, always on crappy laptops using Wine, but I just installed PopOS and heard it works great with Steam, so I'm installing LOTRO right now. Look me up user name tele_magenta!

    ReplyDelete